Welcome!

Writing to me is like breathing to others, it just comes naturally. I used to send everyone in my family "updates" which is essentially what this blog is, so please enjoy an update of my crazy, totally unexplainable, yet perfectly acceptable life. :)

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

Outside my window lies a white blanket of that cold powder most people hate. I, on the other hand, love it! It started falling on Christmas morning while I was talking to a friend on the phone. I screamed in delight when I saw it! Amazing! My first white Christmas in four years! It didn't stop falling until late last night, and while I heard the groans from my parents, I couldn't stop skipping!!! SNOW SNOW SNOW!!!! It fell with grace and landed everywhere it could. Can you say a wintery heaven? I took my three dogs outside to play with them today, only because when we lived in Michigan, we would literally have them pull us around on our sleds in the snow and well, they loved it! So today, the little bro and I threw snowballs for them! Much to our delight, they would chase after them only to find more snow! It was really a mean trick, but a funny one at that. Sadie, our old border collie acted as if she was a puppy discovering snow for the first time. 
Sadie (our 9 yr old border collie) running through the snow!
Sadie has always felt the need to eat the snow as if she's going to make it all go away. Unfortunately, this always makes her have to pee a lot more than usual, which leads to her eating more snow. It's a vicious cycle. Today, I watched her chase around flying snow balls and dive into the snow after them as if she was going to find the snow ball still in tact. Silly dog! Salem, our yellow lab pranced around in the snow at first, not wanting her precious feet to get too cold. She desperately wanted to join in the fun, and reluctantly gave in. When she was younger, she could have easily been lost in this white blanket covering our three acres, but now that she's become more of a yellow lab, she's getting easier to spot! She too would run after the snow balls; however, she showed less intensity than good ol' Sadie! 
Matthew trying to get Salem to come off the driveway and play in the snow as Sadie goes to eat more snow in the background!

 My little dog, Guido (a rescued Jack Russel), on the other hand, decided it was too cold for him to play in the snow. He wandered around next to Sadie for awhile only to return to me shivering and giving me that irresistible puppy dog face. I had no choice but to pick him up and put him in my jacket while I carried him back to the house! Silly little dog!
Me keeping Guido warm
As I snapped pictures of anything and everything, the dogs followed me around, covering themselves in snow and exploring the forbidden woods. We don't usually let them wander through the woods, but I figured I'd give them the rare chance as long as I was there with them. We walked behind the house and crossed the creek where they both ran up the hill and past the barbed-wire fencing someone put up long ago. Sadie peed every two minutes and then continued to eat away the snow. Salem wandered aimlessly, sometimes into bushes and often times she would shove her face right down into the snow (Wasn't this the dog that wouldn't go and play in the snow at first?). Eventually, I was getting to the point where my finger couldn't press the button on the camera and figured it was time to go inside. I whistled for the dogs and they came charging back up to the house. I went inside, made my brother and I some hot chocolate and then I started a fire in the fireplace! The perfect end to the perfect day! :)





Jason Mraz-Winter Wonderland! Love this version!

No comments:

Post a Comment