Welcome!

Writing to me is like breathing to others, it just comes naturally. I used to send everyone in my family "updates" which is essentially what this blog is, so please enjoy an update of my crazy, totally unexplainable, yet perfectly acceptable life. :)

Friday, December 10, 2010

Loving What You Do

Throughout life we all go through doubts about whether or not we made the right decision. What if I can't do this certain career day after day? What if it was my destiny to do something else? Of course, going to a school where your major is so defined from the beginning, I have asked myself these same questions several times. Today, however, I was reassured about my decision. Monday I have to take my practical for meat cutting. It involves both a written portion and skills portion. We're supposed to cut up a chicken in 20 minutes using a certain cut. In class I was able to do a terrible chicken in about an hour and a half. Not exactly "A" material. Our school offers programs to come and practice whatever you need to on a Friday, so guess what I did today! I went and cut up four chickens! Having a very self-esteem boosting day yesterday (I cut a very beautiful rabbit and rack of lamb, not to mention made sausage and packaged it while talking in a British accent!), I walked into the kitchen with confidence. I looked at my first chicken, took my knife in my hand and began cutting away. It took me awhile to do, but it was the best job I've done since I started cutting chickens two Tuesdays ago. I then took my second chicken, feeling even more confident, and did probably the worst job ever. It could have been because people were watching me very intently, but I'd rather not make excuses. I was being helped by older students that were giving me tips on how to make it easier on myself. And while it took me about an hour to cut the worst chicken ever, all the while I stood there excited and determined to get it right. I wasn't the best, but I was trying to be the best I could be. It reminded me of playing lacrosse (another passion of mine) and how I would stay after practice to work on my stick work or my shots on goal. Often times I was left standing outside in the cold with a couple balls, but I did it because I loved doing it and I wanted to do it. 
Standing there with the same excited intensity I played lacrosse, I started in on my third chicken. A much better job with very clean cuts! All I needed was to improve my time. 20 minutes is all we have in class, so I timed myself. Today, I cut a very clean chicken in 24 minutes. It was the best I have ever done. And there were even people watching my every cut. Excuses, I think not. So Monday, I will be cutting a beautiful chicken in 20 minutes flat. ;) 
As for my decision to become a chef, I know I made the right one because I'm happy every time I pick up a piece of food. I love being able to create something with my bare hands and then handing it to someone so they can enjoy it too. If your smiling and having fun, you know you're where you should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment