Welcome!

Writing to me is like breathing to others, it just comes naturally. I used to send everyone in my family "updates" which is essentially what this blog is, so please enjoy an update of my crazy, totally unexplainable, yet perfectly acceptable life. :)

Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Perfect Little Get-A-Way

The past few days have just been terrible for me (regarding things that do NOT need to be mentioned!); they just haven't been stacking up to the usual greatness my days seem to acquire. Usually. Anyways, I've been trying to get this bad juju out of my mind and have been hanging out with a few of my favorite people. Friday night we watched a movie (Hamlet 2, if you really wanted to know!) and I fell asleep watching it, snuggled next to Tommy in his warm and cozy bed! When the movie was over he woke me up so I could go to my bed and off I went to fall back asleep immediately in my own cold and lonely bed. I drifted back to sleep easily and peacefully. Honestly, a bomb could have gone off next my head and I would not have woken up (probs because I would have died, but you get my point!).

The next morning I awake to a familiar face/voice saying my name. As I smile (realizing now who this person is and wondering how I managed to do this in my morning grogginess), I am then asked if I would like to go the beach. Mind you, it is the beginning of January and I do NOT live in Hawaii. I live in Charlotte, NORTH Carolina, and for those of you that don't know NC all that well, Charlotte is nowhere near the ocean. Finally realizing what I was just asked I then exclaimed, "WHAT?" Tommy then said, (yes that was the beautiful voice I awoke to!) "Yes, the beach! Gayle (another friend who happens to have a car) and I were up talking last night and decided it'd be fun to go!" So how would I pass up an opportunity like this?! We would be going to Wilmington (A place I had never been that was about three and a half hours away!). Give me an hour and I'd be ready! So Tommy, Elizabeth, Gayle and I all got ready to go off on our day adventure. 

We drove and drove and drove until we had reached our destination. Fantastical. The wind was cold and slapped at our faces, but the sight was new and seemed make my eyeballs squeal with excitement. People were actually surfing! Yeah, you heard me right! Surfing in the cold ocean in January. Crazy people. Regardless of these crazy people, we flew the kite (mostly Elizabeth and Tommy. Gayle and I dodged the deathtrap of a string attached to the thing). We also watched the kite, which was quite high in the sky, plunge into the ocean as if it had simply had enough and couldn't deal with being in the sky anymore and found its best option quickly and tragically. After retrieving it, we took a walk on the pier (can you believe they charge you to walk on the darn things? I mean seriously! I thought we lived in America?! The LAND of the FREE?!?!?! It was only a dollar, but still!). We spent the rest of our time walking around, seeing what was there and then ate at a nice Italian restaurant for dinner. The waitress explained to us that they make everything from scratch! Even their oysters! Which leads me to ask the question, "So they're in to the oyster breeding business?" Still not sure what she meant by that... oh well...

The car ride back was dark and quiet, leaving a satisfying nap to occur. A few hours at the cold beach tucked into my day and an experience that will last a lifetime... simply spontaneously perfect.
          

No comments:

Post a Comment