Welcome!

Writing to me is like breathing to others, it just comes naturally. I used to send everyone in my family "updates" which is essentially what this blog is, so please enjoy an update of my crazy, totally unexplainable, yet perfectly acceptable life. :)

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Just a Spittin'

Now that's it's officially summer for the commercial world, all things summer are starting to pop into my head. Food wise of course. Hamburgers on the grill, pasta salad, lemonade with fresh strawberries floating inside the condensating glass, raspberry french toast-just to name a few of my favorites... But of course the one I cannot escape is God's gift of hydration-the watermelon. Oh yeah buddy... Every summer I beg my mother to buy one-just one please. Sometimes I think she does it just to torture me, but I know she's not that cruel (I mean she's my mom, right?). So the other day when I returned home from work I found the luscious green giant awaiting for me on the counter. Just chillin' there as I felt that rush of excitement run through my body (that's right all because of a watermelon). But today, today I finally cut into that bad boy. I wedged my knife right in the middle and watched as the juices started escaping from its strong green imprisonment. It's pink flesh made me want to dive into its deliciousness. Every summer I cut up at least 2 watermelons and every time I end up eating at least an eighth of it before I'm done (which is why I always cut them up). But every time I'm standing there diving into this fruit, I can't help but to go back in time to when I was about 8. Barefoot (as I often am in the summer) with bleach blond hair, I'm sitting on the porch of a family friend's with my feet hanging off the side and swinging away. My best friend Grace is right beside me and we're laughing as we spit out those darn black seeds. Juices running down our arms and dripping off our elbows as the sounds of birds come from above and the laughter of our mothers come from through the screen door. Ahhh yes... Summer is here again, just as it promised last fall...

No comments:

Post a Comment